SoloEspresso is supported by its readers. We may earn a commission when you buy through the links on our site at no additional cost for you.
If you’re after a dual function coffee maker and would love to have at home espresso and coffee without depending always on coffee shops, you have come to the right place. Keep on reading this Nespresso VertuoLine review.
Often coffee lovers are asked to choose one: Coffee or Espresso. What if you love both and cannot settle for one espresso and coffee maker?
In SoloEspresso reviews we could not miss this espresso and coffee maker: the Nespresso VertuoLine. It can brew traditional coffee as well as gourmet espressos in no time.
Last update on 2021-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Pros and Cons of Nespresso VertuoLine
Nespresso VertuoLine is an efficient single-serve coffee machine on the market that operates on a capsule. The price is more affordable than other top espresso machines on the market but yet not one of the cheapest espresso maker out there. The Nespresso VertuoLine demands less maintenance and has an impressive sturdy built.
But what are the pros and cons of this dual-natured machine? Let’s weigh them out:
- Sleek, modern design
- Brews different types of drinks
- Can produce rich, delicious crema on top
- Rapid pre-heating (just about 20 seconds)
- Easy, one-touch operation
- Easy to maintain
- Buying new capsules adds to the expense
- Only compatible with Nespresso Vertuo capsules
Buy on Amazon
Key Features of Nespresso VertuoLine Coffee and Espresso Machine
The Nespresso VertuoLine is a single serve coffee maker that is able to brew a single cup of either coffee or espresso. You simply need to insert a Nespresso Vertuo coffee or espresso pod into the coffee extraction chamber, and the rest will be taken care of. We will get later on in this review on how all this is possible with the new espresso pods Nespresso has engineered for the VertuoLine. Let’s look for now at the main features of the machine.
- Nespresso VertuoLine is offered in Black, Chrome, Red and Titan color options, so you are spoilt for choice.
- The machine looks quite elegant due to its retro style aesthetics.
- Overall, it measures about 8.3” in width, 11.91” in height and 11.93” in depth- which is compact enough to fit on any countertop.
- The unit weighs around 10.85 lbs., so it isn’t really bulky or heavy to move. Plus, it has a medium-sized 40 ounces (1.2L) removable water tank.
As for the aesthetics, the VertuoLine looks fancy and modern so it effortlessly blend into any kitchen decor.
What about its construction of the VertuoLine?
Most of the parts are made from plastic, yet the machine is durable. Some people might not like there are no metal parts, but the Nespresso VertuoLine is still a sturdy machine offered at this price tag point.
5 Cup sizes
This multi-functional machine can brew 5 different sizes of cups.
- Alto coffee (14 ounces)
- Coffee (8 ounces)
- Gran Lungo (5 ounces)
- Double Espresso (2.7 ounces)
- Espresso (1.35 ounces).
You can pour ice on top to create iced latte drinks or iced coffee as you like.
Each Nespresso capsule, be it coffee or espresso, has a unique taste with finely roasted coffee packed in a single-serve portion. With these, you are sure to get optimal freshness at each brew.
Nespresso Capsules VertuoLine, Espresso Variety Pack, Medium and Dark Roast Espresso Coffee, 50 Count Coffee Pods, Brews 1.35 Ounce
- NESPRESSO VERTUOLINE VARIETY PACK ASSORTMENT: This Nespresso coffee assortment offers 50 Nespresso Pods in a variety of 2 best-selling coffee blends for the Nespresso VertuoLine System.30 Diavolitto & 20 Altissio
- INTENSITY: This assortment will let you explore the rich tastes and differing notes of the following Nespresso Capsules: Diavolitto (Intensity 11) & Altissio (Intensity 9). It's the perfect choice to discover a distinctive range of coffees
- ESPRESSO BREWS 1.35 OZ COFFEE: These Nespresso VertuoLine pods are part of the Espresso range that will provide you with a 1.35 oz serving of a traditional espresso coffee beverage
- WE RECYCLE: Nespresso aluminum capsules are fully recyclable and guarantee coffee freshness - we provide different options for recycling your used aluminum coffee pods to fulfill our collective commitment to protecting the environment
- VERTUOLINE ONLY: Nespresso Vertuo delivers you a full range of cup sizes and coffee styles from espresso to Alto XL with easy to use Nespresso pods. Enjoy hot or pour over ice. (VertuoLine Capsules are not compatible with Original Line machines )
Last update on 2021-04-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The cup tray is adjustable up to 3 positions to accommodate large travel mugs, standard coffee mugs and small espresso cups. This prevents the brewed coffee from spilling all over the tray because of cup not fitting under the dispenser.
Centrifusion Extraction technology is unique to Nespresso machines, making them stand out from the competition.
All you need to do is just insert the capsule and close the lever. Very convenient and in line with Nespresso coffee brewing process style.
The VertuoLine will produce freshly brewed authentic espresso or coffee with perfect crema on top.
Let’s have a closer look at how the Centrifusion Extraction technology works:
- Such patented technology punches a hole in the middle of the capsule, and 18 smaller holes at the outer side.
- It further activates the capsule and spins it for up to 7,000 rotations per minute while injecting water into it via the middle hole and out from small holes.
- This will efficiently extract the coffee and produce a rich, generous hazelnut-colored crema.
- The foam is naturally created from coffee and air with the help of Centrifusion technology – a completely unique and innovative way of brewing coffee developed by Nespresso.
Lat but not least, the Nespresso VertuoLine does not use any pump system for brewing. The Centrifusion Technology is applied in all the new Nespresso machines.
Automatic Grand Cru Blend Recognition
VertuoLine makes use of a smart extraction system that is able to recognize each blend.
For that, there’s a bar code present on each capsule’s rim, and the machine will automatically recognize and adjust the brewing parameters as per the type of Grand Cru blend.
That means users do not need to select or adjust the brewing parameters at all. Just a single touch and your chosen in-cup coffee or espresso will be produced in no time. The bar code does all the rest like the temperature, the speed of extraction, the cup size and the time of extraction. Pretty impressive!
The capsule will eject automatically after brewing cycle finishes.
The automatic power saving function causes the VertuoLine coffee maker to turn off after 9 minutes of idleness, thereby, consuming less energy.
Aeroccino 3 Milk Frother
Some versions of the VertuoLine model also come with an Aeroccino 3 Milk frother that can produce smooth, fine textured cold or hot milk froth within seconds.
The milk frother uses an automatic system that prepares milk faster (just within seconds) for you to try out different coffee recipes-all without generating much vibration or noise.
Nespresso VertuoLine Review
- The preheating time for the VertuoLine is about 15 to 20 seconds. This is a great thing, because you don’t have to wait too long for your morning brew.
- It makes use of Centrifusion technology to extract coffee by spinning the capsule for up to 7000 rpm.
- This allows for maximum extraction and production of rich crema layer on top, thus, providing delicious, full-bodied taste every single time.
Now, it will take some time for VertuoLine to brew coffee as the barcode recognition, spinning and pre wetting process is time consuming. But the system also saves your time, as you don’t have to manually set brewing instructions. You simply need to press ‘Start’ button and the machine will do its job.
Ease of Use
One of the main highlights of this Nespresso VertuoLine review is how easy it is to operate. It has single button operation, so even newbies can brew espressos and coffees with this unit effortlessly.
The 40 oz. water tank is easy to access, remove and clean. All you need to do is insert the capsule and secure the lid in place.
How to Use It
With VertuoLine, you can brew coffee in just a few simple steps:
- Pour water in the easy-to-reach water reservoir on the side.
- Adjust the height of the cup support as per your desired cup size. And, turn the VertuoLine ON.
- Open the extraction head and insert your desired capsule in it, keeping its flat side upwards.
- Close the lid and lock the pod securely in place by turning the knob.
- Press the brew button.
- There are no complicated menus or fancy control buttons to decipher. You don’t even need to set the brewing parameters like temperature, brew strength or length.
- The barcode on the capsule’s rim will be automatically recognized by this class 1 Laser product. This will tell the machine how much water to use and automatically set the brewing parameters on its own.
- Pre-wetting process will extract coffee efficiently to produce rich, authentic taste and great aroma.
- There’s a latch on the top that securely locks the pod into place. Once brewing is done, you simply need to unlock and lift the lid, the used capsule will automatically get released and slide into the bin.
If you want to have hot coffee, we suggest to pre heat up the cup. Just fill the cup or the mug with hot water and let it rest a couple of minutes. Then brew the coffee and enjoy a hot cup of coffee.
That’s how easy it is to brew your drink with VertuoLine; even amateurs can easily operate the machine without any hassle or mess.
Used Capsule Container
The Nespresso VertuoLine used capsule container can accommodate up to 13 large coffee capsules or 20 small espresso capsules. Thus, you don’t have to clean the bin every single day.
There’s also a cable storage provided where you can store 74 cm of cable, when the unit is not in use.
Coffee / Espresso Quality
Next to discuss in this complete VertuoLine review is the quality of the coffee.
The crema layer on top of the coffee or espresso is what really makes VertuoLine a winner here. This is exactly why Nespresso coffee makers stand out from the rest.
The quality of coffee or espresso produced feels premium and rich, so you will savor your drink till the end. At the end, it is all about the optimal brewing temperature, texture and crema. And, you will get just the right amount of each of these with Nespresso VertuoLine machine.
The spinning movements will ensure the entire content in the capsule gets wet for full extraction, creating a full-bodied and rich taste.
We cannot avoid discussing the maintenance in this Nespresso VertuoLine review. We suggest you refer to the user manual for maintenance procedures, as they might be a bit difficult to remember.
Every procedure, right from restoring default settings to regular cleaning and descaling is explained thoroughly in the User Manual of this coffee maker.
- The unit features just a single button, so you need to press the button 3 times within 2 seconds to activate the cleaning cycle. If you’ve not used the machine for quite some time, it is recommended to run this cycle, flush the clean water through the unit and then brew your drink.
- Descaling the Nespresso VertuoLine is a fast and easy process. It is suggested to run the descaling program once every six months for optimal performance of the unit. Here is how the process works in the details. You will find it is pretty smooth and will take about 20 minutes.
- When the descale alert blinks it is time to descale the machine. The light will blink three times and then becomes steady
- We suggest to use the Nespresso Descaling Kit you can purchase via Amazon.
- Before starting let the used capsule drop by opening the machine. When you re-close it leave the lever in the unlock position. Now empty the capsule container and the drip tray.
- Now you can fill the water container with 17oz (500ml) of water and add the Nespresso Descaling solution.
- Turn the machine on again. The VertuoLine will initiate the pre heating phase for about 15 seconds.
- Once steady press the button for 7 seconds. Once the mode is activated the button will start blinking quickly. From now you have 45 seconds to enter the descaling mode.
- To enter the descaling mode you have to follow these three steps:
- Lock the machine by turning the lever into the lock position;
- Unlock it again
- Press the button again for at least 7 seconds
- Put a container of at least 20oz (600 ml) on the cup tray
- Now lock the machine again and push the button. The VertuoLine will start descaling automatically.
- Let all the descaling solution flow through the machine. Once done remove the water tank, the cup support and the drip tray and make sure you rinse them properly.
- To rinse the machine fill more than half of the water tank with drinking water and push the button again to rinse the machine.
- Once done, to exit the descaling mode, push the button again for at least 7 seconds. The button will stop blinking quickly and will become steady. And you are done.
Cleaning the Components
- Lastly, all the other components of the unit are also easy to clean, as you can remove the water tank and used pod container with ease.
Once the drink is brewed, the used capsule slides into the bin at the side. The drying process is quite impressive; the used capsules do not create any mess and look clean.
As for the exterior, you can simply wipe it down with a clean microfiber cloth to retain its sleekness. Besides, the plastic housing of the machine doesn’t scratch easily.
Nespresso backs their VertuoLine machine with 1 year of limited warranty. It is safe to say, pod machine are easy to maintain than a traditional coffee maker.
Out of the Box
- The Nespresso VertuoLine Coffee and Espresso maker comes included with 12 Nespresso Vertuo capsules, each featuring unique aroma profile and texture. Every capsule is crafted with aromatic and soft gourmet blends to deliver best results.
- These hermetically sealed aluminium coffee or espresso capsules deliver exceptional taste and aromas that’ll appeal every coffee aficionado.
- You can prepare up to 10 authentic espressos and 16 coffees, each with different taste and intensity. Try out different blends and find a favorite taste for yourself.
- If you are bored of plain espressos, you can simply use the included Aeroccino 3 milk frother to make lattes or cappuccinos as well. The machine does not come with an inbuilt milk dispenser though.
Only drawback of VertuoLine is that it is only compatible with Nespresso Vertuo capsules, limiting its versatility. You cannot add a filter to heat water for tea, you cannot add pre-grounded coffee and not even coffee capsules from other brands.
So, that’s a letdown for people who like to try and experiment with different flavors and blends from various brands.
Also, one needs to consider the price tag and availability of espresso pods to purchase from Nespresso. But there’s nothing to complain about the choice, as Nespresso offers wide range of capsules of different intensity, flavors with decaffeinated options as well.
One of the biggest advantages of capsule-operated single serve machine is that you won’t waste an entire pot of coffee if you don’t like the flavor. This gives you the space to experiment with different blends without worrying about excessive wastage.
Breville BNV250BLK1BUC1 Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine, normal, Black
- SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MACHINE: The Nespresso Creatista Plus offers freshly brewed coffee as well as authentic espresso. The attached milk frother allows you to create top quality latte art at home. Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks
- BARISTA GRADE: Brew different sized coffee beverages at the touch of a button depending on your coffee needs - Ristretto (0.5 oz), Espresso (1.35 oz), Lungo (5 oz). Settings allow you to adjust coffee volume, milk temperature and mixture
- SMART COFFEE AND ESPRESSO MAKER: Brew a perfect single serve coffee or espresso cup every time with a high resolution easy TFT LCD display that assists you with all settings and maintenance aspects
- MILK FROTHER: Automatic built-in milk frother helps you create your favorite single serve coffee and espresso beverages. Each machine includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
- FEATURES AND WARRANTY: Nespresso Creatista Plus features a 1.5L removable water tank, an auto-purge steam wand, fast automatic cleaning process, stainless milk jug and a 2 year warranty. Heats up in less than 3 seconds
Last update on 2021-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
To wrap up this Nespresso VertuoLine rewiew, let’s consider first that Nespresso has years of experience and expertise in espresso machines and coffee makers.
In this Nespresso VertuoLine review, it has appeared clear that it is one of the best capsule operated, single serve machines. The patented Centrifusion technology further makes your coffee barista-grade without going to the coffee shop by adding that rich layer of foam on top.
Not to forget, the barcode recognition takes it to a whole new level, as it automatically dictates how your coffee will taste just by recognizing its Grand Cru blend.
Overall, the Nespresso VertuoLine espresso and coffee maker gets thumbs up!